Warmer weather means an increase in bat activity
If you find a bat in your home or camp that may have been in contact with a person or pet, please CATCH THE BAT! DO NOT RELEASE IT!!! A child, an older adult, someone who is speech impaired, or someone who is sleeping while a bat is in their room may not be able to tell you if they were bitten.
Things to remember:
- How to capture a bat.
- turn on room lights and close the windows
- close the room and closet doors
- wait for the bat to land
- wearing heavy gloves, place a coffee can, pail or similar container over the bat
- slide a piece of cardboard underneath the container or against the top of the container, turn it right side up and tape the cardboard tightly to the container.
- Download a video on how to catch a bat at www.health.ny.gov/diseases/communicable/zoonoses/rabies/ (box on upper left side of page).
- Keep your pets’ current on rabies vaccinations!
- Contact the Allegany County Department of Health- Environmental Health Division with any questions about rabies – 585-268-9251 or 585-268-9263 or 585-268-9710
- If you need to leave a message, please leave your name, a telephone number, and the reason for your call.