News, Politics, and Culture from 14895

Snappy Sunrise, by Mel Hunt

Buffalo Man Sentenced for Assaulting Law Enforcement Officer During Jan. 6 Capitol Breach


Defendant Attacked MPD Officer Dragged Into Crowd of Rioters

From the US District Attorney’s Office

  WASHINGTON — A New York man was sentenced today for assaulting a law enforcement officer during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. His actions and the actions of others disrupted a Joint Session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the 2020 presidential election.

Thomas F. Sibick, 37, of Buffalo, New York, was sentenced today by U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson to 50 months in prison, 36 months of supervised release, and ordered to pay $7,500.79 in restitution. Sibick pleaded guilty to one felony count of assaulting, resisting, or impeding certain officers and one misdemeanor count of theft on March 3, 2023.

According to court documents, on Jan. 6, 2021, Sibick made his way illegally onto the grounds of the U.S. Capitol and into the mob gathered on the West Plaza. Here, Sibick posted a “selfie” video on Instagram depicting himself in the mob. The video pans the crowd with the caption, “Wildest experience of my life!!” Sibick then filmed himself screaming, “Just got tear-gassed, but we’re going, baby, we’re going! We’re pushing forward now!

Court documents say that a group of United States Capitol Police (USCP) and Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) officers had formed a police line at one of the two glass doorways on the Lower West Terrace that lead inside the Capitol to prevent a mob of rioters from entering.

At approximately 3:08 p.m., Sibick joined a crowd of rioters in this area who were pushing against the police line, Sibick then entered the Lower West Terrace tunnel and made his way to the front of the mob. Sibick then left the crowd only to return a short while later.

At this time, court documents say that around 3:15 p.m., an MPD officer at the front of the police line was pulled into the crowd of rioters. Once the officer was in the mob, various members of the crowd began to assault the officer, including by tasing, kicking, punching, grabbing, and throwing objects. The officer also had his limbs restrained while a rioter attempted to remove the officer’s service weapon from the holster. Court documents say that a member of the mob threatened to take the officer’s gun and kill the officer.

While the officer was attacked, body-worn camera footage shows Sibick reaching toward the officer and forcibly removing the officer’s badge and radio. Later, court documents say that Sibick posed for a picture of himself holding and pointing to a USCP riot shield.

Sibick returned the stolen badge to federal authorities after having taken it home with him and buried it in his backyard in Buffalo. The radio was never recovered.

This case was prosecuted by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York.

This case was investigated by the FBI’s Buffalo Field Office and Washington Field Office, which identified Sibick as BOLO (“Be On the Look Out”) #115 on its seeking information photos. Valuable assistance was provided by the U.S. Capitol Police and the Metropolitan Police Department.

In the 30 months since Jan. 6, 2021, more than 1,069 individuals have been arrested in nearly all 50 states for crimes related to the breach of the U.S. Capitol, including more than 350 individuals charged with assaulting or impeding law enforcement. The investigation remains ongoing.          

Anyone with tips can call 1-800-CALL-FBI (800-225-5324) or visit

Read the full public information document on Sibick

Previous Article

Theodore Louis Seeley III, 48, Wellsville

Next Article

Police, prosecutors investigate shooting and manifesto incident, Hornell was on the list

You may also like