News, Politics, and Culture from 14895

Snow Moon over North Hill by Cindy Schreiner

Fire at Jones Memorial Hospital stopped in generator room, patient care never stopped


Wellsville firefighters go in the generator room at Jones Memorial Hospital. Photo by John Anderson.


A fire in a generator building just next to Jones Memorial Hospital in a back parking lot was quickly put out Thursday afternoon.

Fire officials told the Wellsville Sun the fire did not affect the operations of the hospital, as no one was evacuated and the Emergency Room and other departments functioned as usual.

“We were dispatched for an automatic alarm,” said Wellsville Fire Department Chief Kevin Fleishman. “Upon arrival, we were told they had smoke and a small fire in the generator room. The fire was extinguished upon arrival.”

The Wellsville Police Department was on the scene with the Wellsville Volunteer Fire Department and ambulance squad.

“All fire units responded as precaution and released as we turned the shop back over to maintenance,” Fleishman continued. “There were no issues inside the hospital and it was great work by the hospital staff, WVFD, WVAC and WPD.”

No injuries were reported.

The Dyke Street Engine Company had a truck pulled outside the building with hoses while hoses from the Genesee Hose Company No. 2 near the main entrance were also going to the scene. The Duke Hose Company was set up outside the emergency room and the Emerald Hook and Ladder truck was parked on Main Street.

If you are facing the hospital, the generator room is to the right of the main entrance and down the stairs.

There is a live video at the Wellsville Sun Facebook page HERE.

Previous Article

Giant Food Mart to local student athletes: We support you 100%

Next Article

Great Lakes Cheese to host “In-person Career Fair” on February 24th in Olean

You may also like