By Andrew Harris
If you are from Wellsville, or familiar with the village, you’ve probably taken notice of 165 Madison Street. The mansion was an eyecatcher, a reminder of the glory days of Wellsville when local titans built grand homes all over the village. This house was perhaps the largest and grandest, outside of the famous Pink House.
Late Thursday evening this grand house caught fire and despite firefighters best efforts, the inferno appears to be a total loss.
Local history expert, Mary Rhodes, contacted us early this morning from her home in Tega Cay, SC with some history on the home.
“Sad to hear of this old house burning down. I do hope everyone is safe. Build 1897 for H. H. Rockwell by architect H. A. Button. History here, Article is from Allegany County Democrat October 28, 1898. Rockwell’s Store was on Main Street. So sad to see this place go.”
The residence was unique in many ways, featuring elegant porches and balconies, and captivating third story windows. As a single family home at the turn of the 20th century, one can image in spacious grand living the house must have provided. In more modern history, the building was converted into apartments, the rooftop balcony removed, and a new red roof installed.
The disaster is now being investigated and residents are being sheltered and receiving aid from local charities, the American Red Cross, neighbors and friends. To make an immediate donation to help, Catholic Charities Joyce Family Food Pantry and Outreach Thrift Store will be available to assist those affected with food, clothing, and essentials. 67 E. Pearl St., Wellsville, NY 14895 585-296-3757