News, Politics, and Culture from 14895

2024 Spring Photography Contest Winner by Donald Putnam

Public Service Announcement from Allegany County: Edible THC Products and What to Know


“These products should be kept out of reach of any person under the age of 21 and should be purchased only from licensed facilities”

This information is brought to you in partnership with the Allegany County Department of Health, Allegany County Office of Emergency Management, and the Town of Wellsville Emergency Managers. As THC and Marijuana edibles become more available in our communities, residents, especially parents and grandparents, need to be on the lookout for products that may contain THC. These products may look like familiar items in your household and be appealing to children such as candies, gummies, or cereals. These products should be kept out of reach of any person under the age of 21 and should be purchased only from licensed facilities.

In adolescents, THC consumption at levels of 5 mg to 20 mg from an edible can cause changes in blood pressure and heart rate, severe tiredness, trouble breathing, vomiting, and impaired attention and concentration. When consuming edible THC products, symptoms/reactions to THC are often delayed.

The New York State Office of Cannabis Management oversees packaging and regulatory requirements for products that contain THC as well as adult use licensing. If you are looking for additional information on the requirements for adult use cannabis, provisions of the NY Cannabis Law, or how to read a Cannabis label, please visit this website:

If you are over 21 and choose to use Marijuana or have THC edibles (i.e., gummies, cannabis oil for baking, weed candies), remember:

  • Always read the label. Know how much a serving size is (for example: 1 cookie, 5 chips, 1 gummy, etc.), for your safety.


  • Remember that unlike smoking marijuana, the effects of edibles may not impact you for almost 90 minutes
  • Keep all marijuana and THC containing products secured and out of reach of children
  • Consider buying a medication lock box
  • Save the poison control number in your cell phone, 1-800-222-1222, just in case
  • If you suspect a child has swallowed any form of cannabis or THC products, call poison control.
Previous Article

Tom O’Mara: “It’s a progressive free-for-all in New York State”  

Next Article

The “Stock-up Sale” starts today at Giant Food Mart

You may also like