Richard Rogers of Wellsville recently earned a New York State High School Equivalency Diploma with free, one-on-one tutoring provided by Southern Tier Traveling Teacher, Inc. The agency is located at 79 1/2 N. Main Street in Wellsville, NY.
A rare gem, nestled in a small, downtown business building on North Main Street in Wellsville, Southern Tier Traveling Teacher, Inc. has helped hundreds of county residents get a GED. For more than 35 years the small non-for-profit has helped students of all ages improve their basic education skills and find jobs. Individualized, in-home instruction builds an effective relationship where students gain skills and confidence for lifelong success. Through the agency’s one-on-one program strategy, teachers build close bonds with students and ultimately, help them reach their goals.
The agency currently employs three full-time staff members, but more tutors are needed. A long-time tutor is retiring and the agency is aggressively searching for a candidate seeking full-time or part-time employment. Tutors work a flexible schedule and are responsible for tailoring and delivering individual lesson plans to their students. Tutors travel throughout all of the towns in Allegany County to meet students. Traveling Teacher does not require an adult education certification or teaching degree to hold this position. The ideal tutor should be able to teach any level as needed in Science, Social Studies, Math, and Language Arts. Meanwhile, good communication and people skills are imperative.
Traveling Teacher staff members work as a team to ensure program goals and outcomes are achieved. It’s a close-knit working environment that offers a flexible schedule, paid time off, and other health benefits. It’s a rewarding career that allows you to give back to the community.
The team is hiring!!! The demand for a high school diploma is a constant and the Traveling Teachers are specialists in helping anyone hoping to learn more and graduate. Below is the full job description and information on how to apply!!
Southern Tier Traveling Teacher, Inc. is hiring a GED Teacher/Case Manager to work in Allegany County. This tutor will work one-on-one with students, but could also be required to teach in a small group setting.
STTT, Inc. is a small not-for-profit organization located in Wellsville, NY. We provide one-on-one tutoring in adult basic education and high school equivalency preparation. Teachers also offer work readiness instruction and job searching skills.
- Effectively teach all subjects for the GED: Math, Language Arts, Science, Social Studies.
- Prepare lessons and materials for all assigned students.
- Travel to student’s homes and/or other locations for regular tutoring sessions.
- Administer the TABE assessment for new and continuing students.
- Write progress notes for every student, maintain attendance, activity reports, and files.
- Communicate with other staff and the director about participants’ progress.
- Collaborate to create plans for successful student outcomes and retention
- Conduct intake appointments and make referrals for other local services.
- Provide overall case management services.
- Participate in regular staff meetings and trainings.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor and director.
- Must have a current, valid driver’s license, vehicle, and insurance.
- Must have a personal cell phone to use on the job.
- Must travel and attend required training.
- A BA/BS degree is preferred. (You do not have to be a certified teacher)
- Demonstrated ability to engage clients, communicate effectively, and motivate others.
- Ability to take direction, work independently, and show initiative.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Open to working in a collaborative environment.
- Full-time and/or part-time positions with benefits that include health and dental insurance, a retirement plan option, mileage reimbursement, and leave time.
If you would like to learn more about the GED Exam, visit www.ged.com
To apply, mail a resume and cover letter to STTT, Inc., PO Box 31, Wellsville, NY 14895. You can also apply by sending the above documents to email@example.com or faxing them to (585) 593-5996. We can also be reached by calling (585) 593-5921.