Allegany County Health Department advises ahead of heat wave
The extreme heat of summer is here and can be dangerous. The Allegany County Department of Health encourages County residents and visitors to follow these tips to stay cool:
- Drink plenty of fluids, but avoid alcohol, caffeine and sugary drinks.
- Stay out of the sun as much as possible.
- Avoid strenuous activity during the hottest part of the day (11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.).
- Take regular breaks from physical activity.
- Beat the heat with cool showers and baths.
- On the sunny side of your home, close the curtains and shades during the day to keep it cool.
- Learn about the signs & symptoms of heat-related illness
- Check on neighbors, family, and friends.
- Do not leave children, elderly, or pets in your vehicle even for a short time.
- Visit an air-conditioned public place like a library, supermarket, or a Cooling Center.
- Use this link to find a local Cooling Center health.ny.gov/environmental/weather/cooling/
For more information on Extreme Heat, visit the New York State Department of Health website at health.ny.gov/ExtremeHeat.