Event helps kids stay active and keep learning all summer long
Healthy Kids Day will be in Bradford PA, Wellsville, and Olean YMCA locations
OLEAN, NY — On Saturday, April 30, all three locations of the YMCA of the Twin Tiers are hosting a free community event to inspire more kids to keep their minds and bodies active. This year marks the 30th annual YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day®, the Y’s national initiative to improve health and well-being for kids and families. The event features activities such as inflatables, swimming, crafts, face painting, giveaways, local vendors and a health/wellness expo to motivate and teach families how to develop healthy routines at home.
YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, celebrated at over 1,300 Ys across the country by over 1.2 million participants, works to get more kids moving and learning, creating habits that they continue all summer long, which is a critical time for kids’ health. When kids are out of school, they can face hurdles that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. As spring turns to summer, Healthy Kids Day is a powerful reminder not to let children idle away their summer days.
Instead, the Y hopes to focus on wowing them with their potential and make this their best summer ever by staying active and learning.
In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies – Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development. And to keep kids’ taste buds evolving, have everyone in the family try at least one bite of a new fruit or vegetable at least once a month.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books – Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events – Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together – Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Make Sleep a Priority – Doctors recommend 10-12 hours of sleep a day for children ages 5-12 and 7-8 hours per night for adults. Sleep plays a critical role in maintaining our healthy immune system, metabolism, mood, memory, learning and other vital functions.
The Healthy Kids Day will take place in Olean, Bradford, and Wellsville from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00
p.m. and features fun games, active play, and educational activities.
For more information about this FREE community event on Saturday, April 30th, contact Curtis Pierce at (716) 373-2400, ext: 104, or visit https://www.twintiersymca.org.