News, Politics, and Culture from 14895

Five children including a Wellsville High student die in house fire in Genesee, Pa., this morning (video)

Share:

Video and story by JOHN ANDERSON

GENESEE, Pa. — As the parents fight for their lives in Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, five children died in a house fire at 226 Slingerland Road in Genesee, Pa.

The fire was toned out at 3:30 a.m. by the Allegany County 911 Dispatch Center to the home of Charlie and Michele Erway. The 911 center worked with Tioga County to get trucks to the scene from two states.

A report from the scene of the fatal fire.

Fire officials who arrived at the scene said by radio that Michele, 40, jumped out of a window and was taken to Jones Memorial Hospital for severe smoke inhalation. Charlie, 44, was burned, a family friend said.

Firefighters and investigators were the only ones allowed at the scene today. The fire took place around 3:30 a.m.

MercyFlight helicopter flew from the Loder Street landing pad to Strong Memorial Hospital.

Family members said three of the children died, a family friend and a cousin. Names are being withheld until all next of kin are notified. They said one attended Wellsville High School and believed the other four attended Northern Potter.

Family friend Rene Smith has set up a GoFundMe page for the Erway Family with a goal of raising $30,000. You can visit the page by clicking HERE.

The Erway Family and their extended family, including the Freeman’s, are well-known for always helping at the Allegany County Fair and the Potter County Fair. The parents and the children not only volunteered, but helped other families as well. They were very active in 4-H.

The Erway’s also had “Me and My Boys Goat Milk Products.”

Previous Article

Fatal fire update: Grief counseling for first responders; Five children died including Scio student and a Wellsville student

Next Article

Boy Scouts: Pinewood Derby results